Friday, January 1, 2010

Getting Healthy

About a week I was thinking of what kind of goal I could make that would push me to get exercising on a regular basis. Walking a 5K (for a cause or not) by June seems like a good way to go since I've done 2.5 miles on lake-side trail without much problem. First I'll go for walking an hour straight, and see where I go from there. Maybe this will be laughably easy, but I've learned in the past week that setting realistic goals and expectations is the best course for my sanity. I'm pretty sure there are several 5K events before summer turns things muggy as hell (and I do mean that literally) around July, so doing this by June should be attainable.

Depending on how I do, I'll eventually up the ante. Maybe running a little? I haven't really tried running since I had pelvic adjustments in physical therapy to correct a tilted and rotated pelvis (causing different leg lengths and a kinda funky gait), so maybe it will be easier now. Who knows. Alternatively, if I still have the grace of a maimed hippo while running, I can work towards a 10K, which sounds mighty fine for a goal.

So for now I'll be doing 1 mile loops 3-5 times a week with my pug to keep us both exercised, 30-60 minutes at the gym 2-3 times a week, and trying to add squats when I feel inspired. Because nothing builds your legs like squats, and I can (theoretically) do them anywhere anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment