Friday, August 20, 2010

Week 7 - Should I Really Be Showing Already?

Today marks 7 weeks and one day, and I feel like caca. Morning sickness pretty much all day. I'm still not puking, but I can't help but wonder if I'd feel a bit better if I just forced it. Eventually I would probably bemoan the damage to my esophagus, but for now I just want it to be over. One of my bosses is completely sympathetic, the other doesn't seem to realize that walking around can make me nauseous. Gee, thanks for calling me into your office again. I know it's only 20 feet, but it's pure torture, especially when your question is really not that important.

A coworker guessed that I'm pregnant today. After being out Thursday and still feeling crappy today, and seeing me having a pickle and ginger ale, plus knowing that we had been trying since last fall, she put two and two together, and got really excited for me. I'm hoping it's not obvious to everyone else just yet, because I really wanted to wait another couple of weeks to announce it at work.

Another thing that makes me queasy? Pants that are too tight, because my belly has grown. I really don't think it's because I'm showing yet, but there's definitely a difference that doesn't seem to be weight gain. I'm thinner along my sides, and I just can't see how I gained while barely eating. We don't keep scales around here, so I can't even check to see how I did compared to two weeks ago. But the growth is mostly in my upper belly, so...maybe I'm just "redistributing"?

Either way, I'm just about ready for maternity clothes. Unfortunately, getting pants a size or two too big just won't cut it. I looked, I tried them on, I looked like shit. So onwards to Target to see if I fit into the XXL maternity pants. And now I can joke about having my own line of clothes at Target (Liz Lange for the win!! totally scared the bejeezus out of me in college though...). If even those don't fit, I get to drive an hour or so into Maryland to find the few Motherhood Maternity stores that carry plus sizes.

Please god, let that at least work for me. I went into A Pea in the Pod and asked if their largest size was an extra-large or an extra-extra-large. The woman who worked there sort of looked confused and said they only went up to large. I was mortified. I hate the attitude that plus size women should just go up a size when they get pregnant, as though we aren't deserving of adorable shirts that show off a rounded belly. Oh silly me, don't you know that plus size woman don't get pregnant, who would even want to have sex with someone who's (gasp) overweight? And how can you tell if it's a cute prego belly, or just gross rolls of fat? I'm joking, but only sort of. It's hard not to feel that way when already nothing fits and I'm barely pregnant.

I had my sister with me for moral support and fashion advice while shopping, and that helped a lot. I didn't get hung up on whether something looked unflattering (I have no fashion instinct, whatsoever), because I knew she would tell me if it was, which meant I could just focus on whether I liked it or not. We found some great shirts that would leave me room for a month or two until the weather gets too cold, plus a great dress to wear to our friends' wedding in two months. I'll want some cute satiny ballet flats and a nice wrap, and it'll be totally perfect!! But no pants yet. *insert emo sigh here* The belly bands that everybody raves about as a way to keep wearing your pants longer? Yeah...apparently they only come in S/M or M/L, which I am not. In the slightest sense possible.

Little One is blueberry sized now, so we'll start working our way through the produce department. I can't really think of any fruit that's bigger than a pineapple, but I think if you consider the leaves, that'll be close-ish enough. And thanks to my early followers, you make me feel so special!

Ultrasound is on Monday. We'll find out if we're having twins (which would sort of explain the sudden growth issue) and confirm the due date. I guess this sort of also implicitly covers the unhappy possibility of a molar (which could also explain early growth) or ectopic pregnancy. I'll feel so much better when we've had a chance to see Little One. I think everything will finally seem real in every way, rather than just the tired queasy way.

1 comment:

  1. There are various sizes of watermelon you could go with.

    ReplyDelete